Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day Three: On the Compound

From Paula,

I have been helping around the clinic doing organizational projects, as I don’t have the medical skills to do the nursing work. However, my (or I should say our) bib project of the week is to take care of six week old twins that each weigh just over four pounds. The mother brings them in each day, and leaves them with us to feed and stimulate, meaning keeping them awake and moving their arms and legs to develop their muscles. The first day, we found out that the mother is sleeping under a tarp, so we drove her home with one of the tents and air mattresses and set it up for her. She has three other children and no husband, and lives with her extended family.

We will take the babies each day that we are here, to give her a break, and also to concentrate on getting enough food into them. The goal is to get them over five pounds. Fortunately, they seem healthy. Cherith has been doing this with me, and today a young man named Joot helped me while Cherith did something else. He is very good with the babies and cut and filed their nails today. He is 25 and was studying at the university before the earthquake, which demolished it. He would like to go into the medical field, but has no money to do it. He says that often, when students graduate from college there are no jobs for them here, which is especially true now.

It has been very hot, but the mosquitos have not been bad at all. The things I miss the most are cold water and ice.

Mark Berzins here! From Haiti, current weather status is hot!!!

For the past couple of days I have been helping out with a bunch of things. My Malaria medicine was giving me issues so I have been helping around the compound for right now. I wish I could be helping build the houses but instead I’m just repairing certain things in our bunk house. I have helped feed two baby twins with Cherith and Paula. But that was yesterday, today I had worked with Mike Navowchik. We have repaired the door so that we are actually able to close it! I had made a desk out of scrap wood for Gale. I also installed 5 shelves scattered around the bunk house.

So far this experience has been really great; I have learned many new things from this trip. I would like to talk more about this but I have to go take my bucket shower and hop into bed. Sleep down here is harder than in Ipswich. It is never silent. From cars, roosters, goats, and the occasional LOUD snorers! (But I’m not going to name any names)


Three blogs in one night?! This is unheard of!

I had to! Our team was three smaller teams today, the third being back at the construction site where we filled the foundation ditches with rocks and cement. We are making amazing progress and God is keeping us energized and healthy!

This afternoon, we were able to attend a small ceremony where a Hatian woman received the keys to her new house, the first one completed by PID post earthquake! Needless to say, she was quite excited.


Right now its 10:00 central time, and everyone is in bed. I just wanted to say hello from our team and thank you so much for the prayers! Gods presence is so powerful here, its everywhere. Tap taps, buildings, t-shirts...these people love the LORD, and He loves them, and we love you! More pics tomorrow!