Monday, August 2, 2010

Reflection: Scott Seiler

Now I am one who thrives and focuses best in the mist of chaos, disasters, and emergencies. However, the very first work day challenged me and pushed me to my limit. We walked from our location at PID to the worksite. Houses, or should I say piles of cement rubble lined the path (not really able to call it a road).

When we arrived at the worksite, we found barely dressed and barefooted children playing in destruction and rubble. A family of 8 living in a small tent in the midst of what once used to be a cement house (or should I say two cement 8 x8 rooms put together). When you see some commercials on tv that have a little child barely dressed and barefoot playing in dirt and rubble and the caption saying “for pennies a day you can feed these children,” this is what they are talking about. This is our unseen, un-talked about, “turn the other way so we do not have to deal or acknowledge it” reality. We were there to make a difference in these people’s lives like we are called to do - Use our bodies as vessels for Gods glory.

As a team we started to clear out a dirt and rock foundation in order to build a more secure and stable house. We chipped and picked away at the rubble while pieces flew everywhere. They flew into and on the family’s tent which was less than 5 feet away from our work. There, lying alone in the doorway was a 6 month old baby - dirty, soiled pants and no diaper, a fly haven. That’s when I felt I reached my limit. I have a baby girl Samantha Grace, who is only a couple of months older then this baby girl (Essoilinne). I was emotionally frozen, speechless. The emotion connecting a little life in such an atmosphere, to my baby girl who is away from her father for the first time was overwhelming. How was I to go on? I was disappointed with my situation.

One of my favorite preachers, Charles Stanley once said, because disappointments can come and they're unavoidable, you could get covered with discouragement in a moment. We don’t have to accept it, discouragement is a choice. On what basis, one might ask - God loves us, he is a good God, he is all powerful, he’s with us, he’s going to see us through it, and he promises to never leave us. Then it was mentioned several times on our trip that God never gives you more than you can handle. Sometimes that is easier said lived, especially when you are in the midst of adversity.

I grabbed my worked boots (in this case – Reebok gym shoes) and tightened the strings getting ready for battle. I had to put on the armor of God. All the negative thoughts of why I can’t do this were flowing freely. Then I felt the presence of the Holy Spirit calming me – through connection of all of your prayers. I reached the turning point. I could go on! If it wasn’t us to help build, it would just be someone else – or would there be? I realized that the faster we helped build this house, the faster this family and baby can have a somewhat real shelter over their heads. Needless to say, I was able to acknowledge my surroundings the rest of the way even though I felt numb to the reality of its dire devastation and hopeless situation.

With all this devastation, why should we attempt to help? What can we really accomplish? It reminds me of the little boy on the beach story: One day a
little boy was walking down the beach. There were thousands upon thousands starfish that washed ashore after a storm (or in this case – a dismantled government or affects of an earthquake). The little boy bent down and threw one starfish back into the ocean. He kept on doing this as he walked along. Passing him walking the other way was an old man. He stopped and asked the boy, “What are you doing”? The little boy said kindly to the man, “I am throwing the starfish back in the ocean.” The older man grunted and walked on. Then the little boy heard in the distance the older man yelling back to him “you can’t make a difference for there are too many.” The little boy bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it back into the ocean. The boy looked back at the man and said, “I made a difference to that one.” This little story holds a big truth for all of us.

Matt 25:40
I tell you the truth, whatever you did for the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me
. But in reality, the Haitians gave to us, they gave to me. We are so afraid of what we are going to have to give up following God. We think we are going to help others, which in part we did. However, they in part helped me by showing their joy and peace in the mist of having the least – which in reality is the greatest.

Before I left, I was so focused on what I was going to do, what profound and great change I can make for them. However, it was the Haitian people, who had the impact on me. The gift they gave me was simplicity and joy. Hope. No mental clutter or emotional havoc. It has been years since I had had so much peace in my life. Now to hold on to it with the Grace of God.

Scott Seiler